top of page

Histories of
St. Louis Bertrand and St. Mary's

St. Louis Bertrand Church, Foreston

About 1886, Mr. A.F. Panchot conceived the idea of building a church in Foreston. From the scattered Catholic families he solicited subscriptions and donated much time and talent as a carpenter to the building of the first church. The first structure was a small frame building with a sacristy attached. Ground for it was donated by Mr. Jens Olson, a
non-Catholic.

The cemetery was a gift from Mrs. Orella Debitsch, and by peculiar coincidence, she was the first buried in it.

Father Broidy, with a mission at Princeton, is said to have offered the first Mass in the new church. In 1914, Father Kral was appointed by Bishop Trobec as the first resident pastor of St. Louis Bertrand Church.

Forty one years later (1955) a substantial hall was built for church doings, societies, meetings and religious instruction.

Church of St. Mary of Milaca

In April 1954, Bishop Bartholome purchased the former Harmonia Hall in Milaca and the neighboring Westling home as sites for the new church and rectory. Father Richard John, O.S.C. was appointed by the Bishop as the first pastor on July 22, 1954.

On August 13, 1954, the church was blessed by the Very Reverend Leo Kapphahn, Prior of the Crosier Monastery in Onamia. The following Sunday, Father John celebrated the first Mass on the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, the patron feast of the parish.

In the spring/summer of 1956, ground breaking took place for the new church at the present location. On January 13, 1957, the new church was used for Mass. (Presently, this part of the church is used for classrooms, office and parish hall and kitchen.) In 1993-1994, the present-day  church was built and was dedicated on Pentecost, by Bishop Jerome Hanus, O.S.B.

St. Kathryn Church, Ogilvie

The first Catholic Mass ceremonies in Ogilvie began in 1920, on Monday's during Lent in the home of John Skluzacek. By 1945, a group of local Catholic men organized a committee and submitted a request to Bishop Bartholome to start a parish in the city of Ogilvie. St. Kathryn's Church was incorporated July 13, 1946, in honor of St. Kateri Tekawitha, the first Native American saint.

St. Mary Church, Mora

In the year 1895, Catholics in the Mora area began to gather at the home of John Goldin. These members reached out to Bishop Marty of the St. Cloud Diocese, requesting a priest to celebrate the Mass and administer the Sacraments to this location. That same year, the Articles of Incorporation for St. Mary's Catholic Church were filed, the first church constructed and Mass was celebrated in the church on December 15.

 

In 1953, the original church building was torn down and replaced with the current church. By 1971, there was a need for more gathering space which led to the construction of the Parish Center. The church had one more addition in 1993, the gathering area and library.

bottom of page